Tuesday 12 October 2010

Where Would I Like to Go For My Honeymoon?

Today is one of those days where I can’t seem to come up with an inspiration for a blog. I’ve looked in the Travel magazines at various destinations and even spent some time looking at an assortment of wedding blogs on the internet.  I finally decided that I would do a little daydreaming.

Since I have been married for more than 40 years, I am not planning a honeymoon any time soon.  When I got married, my husband and I travelled by car to Salt Lake City for our honeymoon. Would I want to do that again if I were getting married today? Definitely not! I would want something much more exciting, relaxing and more luxurious.  We’re not college kids with no money any longer and our expectations have increased.

 
My husband keeps talking about wanting to go to the Cook Islands.  Whenever, I get any travel brochures in the house, the ones with the Cook Islands keep getting moved to his bedside table. In fact, I think that I like that idea of going to the Cook Islands, too. A young friend a mine recently had her honeymoon at Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and Spa. My husband has not met her nor does he know where she went on her honeymoon, but strangely enough, he keeps talking about wanting to go to Aitutaki Lagoon Resort.

In checking out the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and Spa on the internet, who wouldn’t want to go to a secluded private island resort in the Cook Islands?  Pacific Island Paradises magazine uses the quote, “No artist’s pallet could ever conceive of a more perfect, more luminescent turquoise than that of the lagoon of Aitutaki, arguably the most beautiful in the world, “wrote Steve Davey in Unforgettable Places to See Before You Dies (BBC Books).  Now I am definitely convinced that I want to go there!

To escape to this South Pacific island, the Aitutaki Resort and Spa is located a 40 minute flight from Rarotonga. Travelers board a small private ferry boat for the two minute journey from the main island of Aitutaki to Motu Atitua, the resort’s private isle.  The resort faces directly onto the famous Aitutaki Lagoon, the world’s most beautiful lagoon. Staying at the resort will give you the opportunity to see the intense turquoise blue colour of the lagoon by day, and view some of the most fantastic sunsets on earth.


The resort’s 29 bungalow put guests steps from the water; seven more are actually over the water.  These bungalows include Deluxe Beachfront, Beachfront, and Garden Bungalows, and offer thatched roofs and tropical furniture along with spacious private veranda with sun loungers, and a super-king bed. All bungalows feature air-conditioning, min-fridge, tea/coffee making facilities, televisions, in-room safe, and hair dryer. They’re the only such accommodations in the Cook Islands, and all are a direct flight from Los Angeles.

This resort is the place to loll on the beach, laze in a hammock, take a languid dip in the luminous lagoon, and to relax. To enjoy the lagoon, step onto a windsurf board, hop into an outrigger canoe, or jump in for a snorkel. Guests at the resort enjoy complementary use of windsurfers, outrigger canoes, kayaks, snorkelling gear, and bicycles.



Enjoy moonlight dining by the lagoon at the Flying Boat Beach Bar and Grill where sumptuous island cuisine is served.  The Cook Islands Drum Dance Show is popular with guests as it also includes an authentic umukai (earth oven) feast.


Yes, the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and Spa sounds perfect for a honeymoon.  With its stunning new Oneroa Beach Chapel it’s also a great place to get married. It is definitely a place that I want to add to my list of places I need to visit before I die. My husband has good taste!


If you would like to plan your trip to Aitutaki Lagoon Resort call Muriel at 403-477-0643 or e-mail her at travelinfo@delsoltravel.ca


--------------------------------------------------
Muriel MacRae, owner of Del Sol Travel and Del Sol Destination Weddings, is a travel consultant and wedding planner who specializes in destination weddings and romantic getaways to tropical areas such as Hawaii, Costa Rica, Mexico, the Caribbean, and the South Pacific. Located in Calgary, Alberta, she plans destination weddings and honeymoons for couples in and around the Calgary area and throughout North America. For more information about planning your destination wedding, honeymoon, or romantic getaway, please contact her at travelinfo@delsoltravel.ca or phone 403-477-0643